This website works best using cookies. Allow cookies?


Parking - access to property


The police are responsible for enforcing legislation relating to parking across driveways and entrances. If the vehicle is causing an obstruction you should contact your local police station. Under normal circumstances this will not be regarded as an emergency and so it might take some time for the police to get there. In the meantime, some local enquiries with neighbours may help to trace the owner of the vehicle.

The council can provide a white road marking, called an access protection marking, in circumstances where there is a regular occurence of obstruction caused by drivers who are unfamiliar with the area. Typically, there needs to be a facility which attracts traffic in the vicinty of your home (such as a school, shopping centre or health centre) before a marking will be considered. The marking has no legal significance and is purely intended to alert unfamiliar drivers of the presence of a driveway.

The council will not provide markings where the problem is caused by other residents in the street or where the problem is infrequent.

If you would like to apply for an access protection marking, please contact the Road Safety and Traffic Management Team through customer services on 01506 280000

clouds and sun

Tripshare West Lothian

Cut your carbon footprint and help the environment by sharing car journeys.
waste paper basket

Street care and cleaning

West Lothian Council is committed to looking after our external environment.

Travel information

For all your bus and rail travel.
Bin Calendar

Bin Calendar Information

New bin collections (grey, blue, brown) calendars for 2011/12
Pay your Council Tax School holiday activities click here for councillors' surgeries Click here for information on benefit changes