This website works best using cookies. Allow cookies?


Advice and Support


You can get information and advice about any housing issue or problem by:

  • visiting your local Council office
  • phoning the Customer Service Centre. Telephone help is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
  • e-mailing your local housing office
  • via the web

Contact us if you would like information or advice about any housing problem, including:

  • Homelessness
  • Your housing options
  • Mortgage arrears
  • Rent arrears
  • Repairs and Improvement grants
  • Disrepair
  • Housing Benefit
  • Discrimination or harassment
  • Relationship breakdown and your housing rights and options
  • Help to allow you to stay in your own home, such as support, aids to daily living or adaptations


See our Related Links panel  to access the Housing Advice Database.


updated - 07/11/12

Frequently Asked Questions

Click a question to see the answer.

How do I apply for a council house?

All applicants for council housing, or existing tenants who wish to transfer to another property, must complete an application form.

How far back can backdated housing benefit and council tax benefit be paid?

We can backdate a housing benefit and council tax benefit claim for up to 52 weeks for you, counting back from the date we receive a written request from you, which states why you haven't applied for benefit before.

I'm being evicted from my council property - what can I do?

Assuming you are being evicted due to non-payment of rent, you should contact your local Housing Office immediately and they will give you advice. You will normally have to pay at least half your outstanding rent to avoid being evicted. You should also contact the Homeless Team who will give you advice about finding alternative accommodation.

I've received a Sheriff Officer letter. Can't I just make an arrangement with the Council?

No, you need to contact the Sheriff Officer to come to an arrangement.

Is it only Council tenants that can apply for Council Tax benefit?

Council Tax benefit is available to everyone who qualifies - not just Council Tenants - if you are on a low income you should apply for council tax benefit.

What is a 'change in circumstances'?

A 'change in circumstances' is when your situation changes and your benefits are affected. If you are getting benefits or think you may now be entitled to get different benefits, you must write and tell us at once if your circumstances change - a phone call is not enough. Tell us at once in writing if any of the following happens: you change your address, you start or stop getting Income Support or Income Based Jobseekers Allowance, your income and/or capital changes, the income and/or capital of your children or other people in your household changes, anyone joins or leaves your household, you or your partner go into hospital for more than four weeks or long term care in a nursing home.

Why are you chasing me about rent arrears when I am on Housing Benefit?

You may still have an outstanding balance. Your Housing Benefit may not cover the whole rent - or it may be reduced because an overpayment is being clawed back from your weekly Benefit entitlement.
young couple

West Lothian Home Choice

West Lothian's Private Housing Search Portal (externally hosted site)
Online payments

Online payments

Pay your council tax and other council bills.
Local Housing Allowance

Local Housing Allowance

A new way of working out and paying Housing Benefit for tenants of private landlords.
young couple

West Lothian Home Choice

West Lothian's Private Housing Search Portal (externally hosted site)
Pay your Council Tax School holiday activities click here for councillors' surgeries Click here for information on benefit changes